About Me

My photo
"Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it."

Monday, April 28, 2014

Pet Project in Personal Growth

Last week I wrote about A Pet's Last Day - Making the Right Choice.  I challenged myself to write about the most difficult topic I could think of regarding the family pet.

For as long as I can remember, I have actively contemplated situations that make me uncomfortable in an effort to hedge against the surprise and gravity of the actual situation when it arrives.

This week, I have spent some time considering what affect my strategy has had on my outlook on life, asking myself, "Is it healthy to dwell so intently on worst case scenarios?"

I don't have an answer.  I listen to and read highly successful people who advocate for protecting your thoughts and maintaining a positive mental attitude (PMA). Watch Napolean Hill describe one of the seven most important success principles.

I also listen to highly successful people (in some cases the same people) talk about how essential it is to face your fears in order to personally grow.

Many of my productive life experiences stem from my ability to visualize and anticipate challenging outcomes and to teach methods to avoid negative results or make the most of the challenge.

Yet, one of the concepts I am learning and developing comes from the book The Magic of Thinking Big in which the author states:
"Action cures fear."
Sometimes taking time to reflect on and avoid negative outcomes prevents us from moving forward.  By avoiding disappointment or failure, we may miss the opportunity to learn and grow from the experience.

Personal growth is a road without a final destination. Growth is a journey we travel day by day.  How fast we travel the road of growth depends on how readily we are willing to experience disappointment in order to learn and grow.  Furthermore, how often we circle and re-travel the same road depends on how readily we remember and learn from the disappointments.

No comments: